Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Dangers of Changing Routines

the construction and the idiotic drivers are causing the most abysmal traffic on the bay bridge lately. i reached the end of my rope and decided to give public transit one more try this morning. my first attempt at taking a local bus to the BART station, the train and then a shuttle bus to work took me close to 2 hours .. and i had to stand the entire trip.

i took a slightly different route this morning. i eliminated the local bus, drove to the BART station, and took a train and the shuttle bus. i had to be at the BART station no later by 7:19 a.m. with the hopes that i would find a free parking space. doing this meant changing my evening and morning routines.

the good news:

  1. there was plenty of free parking when i arrived at the BART station at 7:00 a.m.
  2. the commute took a little more than an hour and was relatively stress free
  3. i didn't have to deal with the moronic drivers
  4. i sat the whole way and was able to knit (my second time knitting in public) and worked on my new project, fingerless gloves for moi, yes for me. here's where i am so far:

    Fingerless Gloves

    i started out this morning with only the cuff and it is knit in the round.

the bad news:

  1. one must be careful when changing one's routine. i thought i would save time by ironing my shirt at night instead of the morning. so i decided to get up at 6:00 a.m., which is my usual time. who was i fooling. it takes me a little while before i'm fully awake. i found myself quickly running behind schedule. so i picked up the pace and while shaving did this (warning a little graphic):

    Nose Wound

    photo credit: christine pun (thanks christine)

    i know that you are saying, 'you stupid idiot keith, you're not supposed to shave your nose!' and, 'that's not such a bad cut.' you'd be surprised at how even the smallest nick hurts and bleeds like hell.
  2. i thought that everyone was staring at and talking to the wound on my face
  3. lastly, and i can't even believe i'm going to admit this to the blogging world, my routine was so messed up that i realized that i totally left the house without brushing my teeth. so not only was i self conscious of the gaping hole on my nose (i know i'm a drama queen) but i was mortified that i may have had bad breath. i chewed the hell out of the 2 pieces of gum i thankfully had.


lessons learned:

  1. be careful when changing routines
  2. get up earlier
  3. have a spare toothbrush and toothpaste at work just in case
  4. don't shave my nose

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith -

your post is why i love you so! the constant struggle toward perfection! today, you had the crisp shirt, the seat, and the beginnings of a beautiful mitten minus the nick and questionable breath. Oh, perfectly human, you are! Keep on struggling. I'm doing the same.

much love, sally

3:44 AM  
Blogger riseyp said...

LOL !!

Glad you are knitting something for yourself this time!!

Sorry to hear about the nose-nick ;-)

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz just said "oh, who's mouth is that?" I had to scroll back up so she could see the nick on your nose. :)

Sounds like your revised public transportation plan isn't too bad. You get more time to relax which is good. Think of it as about 2 hours a day of getting to relax and do some knitting or reading or other stuff. Sure beats that awful bridge traffic, which is now much worse because of the construction.

I can't tell you how much reading I've gotten done just by taking BART to work. I've read more in the last 3 years than I have in my entire lifetime!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home